Neck Pain Relief from Our Oakview Chiropractic Center in Omaha, NE
Neck pain often takes patients by surprise. Among body parts, the neck is one of the most susceptible to injury. Discomfort sometimes derails normal daily activities for individuals who visit our Oakview Chiropractic Center in Omaha, NE. Our chiropractor can bring relief using only natural therapies that avoid medication and surgery.
Causes of Neck Pain
The official name of the neck is the cervical spine. It contains seven vertebrae, originates at the base of the skull, and supports around 12 pounds of head weight. The fact that the neck is so flexible puts it at high risk for pain and injuries.
Common causes of neck pain include:
- Accidents and injuries. The result might be whiplash, causing muscle contraction and muscle fatigue that result in pain and stiffness. Whiplash can also involve an injury to joints between vertebrae, ligaments, discs, muscles, and nerve roots.
- Aging. Getting older brings with it a host of degenerative conditions affecting the spine.
- Degenerative disc disease. Numbness, tingling, and pain are possible outcomes when a disc herniates or bulges.
- Osteoarthritis. Continuing cartilage deterioration results in bone spurs that interfere with correct joint motion.
- Spinal stenosis. Entrapment of nerve roots means possible neck, arm, and shoulder pain, along with numbness.
- Everyday living. Obesity, weak muscles in the abdomen, poor posture, and stress all affect how the neck moves. The result is pain and stiffness.
Chiropractors thoroughly evaluate a patient’s discomfort before formulating personalized neck pain treatment plans.
Neck Pain Treatment Options
The development of a personalized neck pain treatment plan begins with a thorough physical and neurological exam by our doctor of chiropractic. Sometimes additional tests such X-rays, CT scans, or MRIs are helpful in reaching a diagnosis.
A staple of chiropractic care for neck pain is a cervical manipulation, also called a neck adjustment. Our doctor utilizes this technique to improve the spine’s mobility and restore a patient’s range of motion.
In some cases, adjustments also facilitate movement in muscles adjoining the spine. After treatment, our patients report that it is easier to tilt and turn the head and experience reduced stiffness, pain, and soreness. Treatment plans often include a combination of therapies. Mobilization, corrective exercises, and massage are additional types.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Omaha Chiropractor At Oakview Chiropractic Center Today!
Don’t let neck pain or other discomfort prevent you from following the lifestyle you love. Our Omaha chiropractor, Dr. Steven Shockley, has a holistic philosophy that means searching for the underlying cause of a health problem rather than just treating its symptoms. Be sure to call our Oakview Chiropractic Center today at (402) 334-0840 to schedule an appointment and learn more about a personalized wellness plan.